Monday, February 20, 2017

Happiness is found here!

Eyyyyy ¿Qué pasa familia? 

This week again, passed by very very very quickly. (Have I managed to say that in every email so far?) It's true. 
Last week we spent a very relaxing preparation day doing little chores and just relaxing on the Magdalena, which I'm pretty sure I already talked about, and did some contacting for the rest of the day. On tuesday, Valentine's Day, my poor companion woke up super ill, and had to spend the day resting, so I got some phone calls done and worked on some paperwork and tidied piso up a bit. Nothing super exciting to report there. 
Oh wait! Actually, yes! So, I don't know if you remember this, but exactly a year ago, on Valentine's Day, I was in Badalona with Hermana Perkins and our beloved piso-mates and to celebrate the day of love, we made chocolate covered strawberries and watched a District episode. Well, I relived it! 

My Valentine's Day treat... too bad Hermana Dinkelman doesn't like strawberries...

My poor companion was still resting, and she's not particularly fond of strawberries, so I kinda celebrated quietly by myself, but it was good, nonetheless. :) that's crazy to think that that was over a year ago! On Wednesday we headed to one of our pueblos, Colindres, to visit our cute little Peruvian family. They were nice enough to feed us some really yummy and super spicy Peruvian food, and we had a nice lesson with them. On Thursday we did some pass-by's, and then we had a lesson with a new investigator, pilar, who is a friend of one of our members! We talked about a little bit of everything as an introduction, but focused mostly on the fact that this gospel brings happiness and peace, which is one of my favorite things to explain. We then watched part of the Restoration, and paused it after the first vision, and she asked if we could find a time to continue watching it! She's so sweet, she brought hermana Dinkelman and I bracelets as a get-to-know-you gift. So cute! We look forward to meeting with her again hopefully sometime this week. 
On Friday we had Zone meeting which is always super fun and uplifting, and we learned about finding happiness in the work and being ourselves as missionaries; not robots preaching a memorized script. I love being in a gospel that thrives in adversity and that embraces diversity; we weren't sent to this earth to become the same person, but to become the best version of ourselves that we can be. And we came to this world with the intent to have joy! 

Zone Meeting


On Saturday we saw a great example of this when we were able to see and help a bit with the Baptism of one of the Elder's investigators, Jorge. He told us the story of how he found the church and how he gained his testimony, and bore witness that none of it would have been possible without some of the most difficult circumstances that he is having to pass through right now in his life. It's thanks to the adversity, he said, that he is able to see and feel the joy of the spirit! He's a great example to me of a true disciple of Jesus Christ. On Sunday we saw ANOTHER miracle, as a flood of unexpected investigators made it to church! People have started inviting and bringing their friends and it's an incredible miracle to see the progress of the church here in Santander. 

Preparation Day is San Sebastian

This morning we got up SUPER early to take the bus to San Sebastián, which is about 3 hours away, to spend preparation day with our district. We're going to stay the night here and go to district meeting tomorrow, then head back to home, sweet home. :) 

A scripture that keeps coming to mind with everything lately  is Matthew 11:28-30, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." 
The gospel really is like wings for us to get through the difficult days, the worst times, the most lonely moments! That doesn't mean that if we choose to follow our savior that we don't have to work or that everything suddenly gets super easy, but it does mean that the impossible things become possible, the pain becomes consecrated for our benefit, and the most difficult times become a blessing. Happiness is found here! The church is true! ¡Cristo vive! 
Have a great week, all, love you so much! 
Love, 

Hermana Larson 

Hermana Burkinshaw... One of my mission besties!


No comments:

Post a Comment